Your bedroom needs to be dark, quiet and ideally between 18-24C:
- Late in the evening, your body releases the chemical melatonin, which makes you sleepy—but only if it receives the right cues from your environment. Melatonin won't flow with the lights on, so spending time in a dimly lit room before going to sleep can put you in the right mindset for sleep.
- Black out blinds or curtains block outside light. These are especially helpful for daytime sleepers. Even if the rising sun doesn’t completely wake you up, its light sends wakeful messages to the brain, affecting sleep quality.
- Eye Mask. If you’re not ready to install blackout blinds, or you go to sleep before your partner, try an eye mask. Blocking out all light with an eye mask is one of the best ways to induce melatonin production.
Shhhhh, quiet please!
- Outdoor traffic, loud neighbors, noisy roommates, a partner who snores…there are way too many variables, aren’t there? And these variables can ruin a night’s sleep. Never fear, though – there are steps you can take to help combat noise in and around your bedroom.
- If you’re not worried about blocking out sounds you need to hear – for instance, a crying child – earplugs may be just the thing for you. They can help muffle the noise both inside and outside your bedroom – especially a snoring partner!
- If you would rather not use earplugs, heavy curtains can help mask some of the noise coming in from outside.
- While it might seem counter-intuitive, some people benefit from a fan or a white noise machine to create a level of sound that drowns out other noises.
- Experts agree the temperature of your sleeping area and how comfortable you feel in it, affect how well and how long you snooze.
- While a typical recommendation is to keep the room between 18 -24C, setting the temperature at a comfortable level to avoid the sleeper overheating is most important.
How to achieve a Perfect Night's sleep, read more...
- Fall asleep quickly
- Sleep undisturbed
- Wake up feeling rested & refreshed
- Avoid ‘roll together’
- Contours to your unique shape
- Consistent and appropriate support
- Relieves aching backs, hips and shoulders
- Simply more comfortable
Why not get an Opurest mattress for your bed?